We have sent the troops forward to attempt to determine the position of Lee’s army. They are receiving stiffer resistance than expected, which may indicate that Lee has not withdrawn south of the Chickahominy River. I wrote Gen. Halleck,
Major General H. W. HALLECK,
Chief of Staff.
TWO MILES SOUTHWEST OF HAW’S SHOP,
May 30, 1864 – 4 p. m.
There seems to be some prospect of Lee making a stand north of the Chickahominy, his right near Shady Grove. I have heard nothing yet of Smith’s troops reaching White House. If I can get up to attack will not wait his arrival. I wish you would send all the pontoon bridging you can to City Point to have it ready n case it is wanted.
U. S. GRANT,
The Papers of Ulysses S Grant, Vol 10, p 495-6
O.R., I, xxxvi, part 1, p 10